Skip to main content

Freewriting

Visit wikihow on how to Freewrite at the following link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Freewrite


I was introduced to Freewriting during workshops I attended and found it to be a valuable tool in opening up to write.
Usually I have a vague topic in mind  which I write on top of the page and then I start writing, nothing planned, nothing organized, just allowing the words to flow.
Quite often I find I drift away from my chosen topic and that is fine as well as it shows me there is another story lingering in my subconscious mind wanting to come out and be written
  1. Freewriting is an exercise to help to get your muse flowing. 
  2. Write - do NOT stop until your timer goes off. Do NOT lift your pen from the paper, even if this means writing, "I don't know what to write," over and over again. Write nonsense, write anything, but don't stop writing.
  3. Look back over what you've written and see if anything sparks your interest. If so, use it as a point of departure for another work, or for tomorrow's freewriting exercise.  The goal to this exercise is to fill the page with words, to free your mind and invite your muse. 
Another description by Mark Levy:  Freewriting is deceptively simple: Start writing as fast as you can, for as long as you can, about a subject you care deeply about, while ignoring the standard rules of grammar and spelling. Your internal editor won’t be able to keep up with your output, and will be temporarily shunted into the background. You’ll now be able to think more honestly and resourcefully than before, and will generate breakthrough ideas and solutions that you couldn’t have created any other way.(From Accidental Genius by Mark Levy)

Comments

This sounds a lot like what Tom Bird does in his "Release the Artist Within" workshops. I went to one, and it is definitely an approach that can work - I was amazed.
Angelique said…
Thank you Melissa for your comment. It definitely helped me to relax and just enjoy the process of writing, being the kind of person that has a tendency to complicate things...;)

Popular posts from this blog

A poem by Etty Hillesum

It has been a long time since I posted anything, I guess some time was needed to fill this creative vessel ;) This morning as I was opening my little book, 'Taking Time to Just Be' the page with this poem opened: Such words as "god" and "death" and "suffering" and "eternity" are best forgotten.   We have to become as simple and as wordless  as the growing corn or the falling rain  We must just be. Etty Hillesum I don't know about you but for me, 'to just be' is sometimes quite hard, there is always something to do, some project, some thoughts, some poem, some painting. But the moments when it happens, when I am just in that moment, everything just brightens up, there is a peacefulness within, a golden moment....

I am free at last...

Free at last When you look up to the sky you'll see me in the clouds whispering 'I am free' When you feel the wind carressing your face you will hear me whispering 'I am free' When you feel the rain gently rolling down your cheeks you will hear me 'I am free' When you look up to the stars at night you will know 'I am free'   When you watch the eagles dancing in the sky you will know I am free at last! c J. Schulte-Zurhausen 2013