Skip to main content

Like the Phoenix...

A favourite quote of my late mother was, Rising like the Phoenix out of the Ashes. She would  use this quote in order to describe her feeling after a heavy migraine attack.

This poem below was written whilst I was in Germany, after leaving South Africa for good or so I thought, and I remember vividly that day, it was the day before my birthday, 17.February 2009, a dark winter's day, the heater trying its best to combat the - 10 degrees outside and my 2 beloved Ridgebacks gently snoring in front of it.

I had just sat down and written my daily pages about my experiences in this country of my birth, which had become so strange, leaving me feeling like a foreigner in my own country.
Tears were streaming down my face as I wrote, feeling abandoned, rejected, lonely, and in emotional and physical pain.

The last sentence and here I quote directly from my journal:

... It is a lonely path and a painful one, but eventually and this I also know, I will emerge like the proverbial Phoenix out of the Ashes....

As I stared down at these, which were my last written words for the day I sat back and couldn't believe what I  just wrote...

In all this pain and I can see the marks my tears had left on the pages, this last sentence just hit me and I remembered thinking, yes, yes I will rise like the phoenix, not now, not tomorrow but I will indeed!

The next page in my journal holds the following poem, which was written by me, so please respect my copyright!

One Day, by JSZ/Angelique


One day, I know,
One day,
Not today or tomorrow,
But one day 
The pain will disappear
And so one day
I will rise like the phoenix out of the ashes.

Freestyle, January 2009,© J.SZ, Angelique, 2009


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A poem by Etty Hillesum

It has been a long time since I posted anything, I guess some time was needed to fill this creative vessel ;) This morning as I was opening my little book, 'Taking Time to Just Be' the page with this poem opened: Such words as "god" and "death" and "suffering" and "eternity" are best forgotten.   We have to become as simple and as wordless  as the growing corn or the falling rain  We must just be. Etty Hillesum I don't know about you but for me, 'to just be' is sometimes quite hard, there is always something to do, some project, some thoughts, some poem, some painting. But the moments when it happens, when I am just in that moment, everything just brightens up, there is a peacefulness within, a golden moment....

I am free at last...

Free at last When you look up to the sky you'll see me in the clouds whispering 'I am free' When you feel the wind carressing your face you will hear me whispering 'I am free' When you feel the rain gently rolling down your cheeks you will hear me 'I am free' When you look up to the stars at night you will know 'I am free'   When you watch the eagles dancing in the sky you will know I am free at last! c J. Schulte-Zurhausen 2013